Scott Swain bio
Scott Swain has been actively studying communication, conflict resolution, and people/systems management since 1990. He has been designing and facilitating communication and conflict resolution training programs for businesses, at conferences, in schools, and to workgroups for over fourteen years. These courses have ranged in length from thirteen weeks to one day.
- Founded Austin Emotional Intelligence Play Group on May 6, 2015, which has met nearly every week since that date for a total of over 480 meetings and over 1800 members. Details here: https://meetup.com/Austin-emotional-intelligence
- Currently writing book, “PRACTICAL EMPATHY, Rewire your brain for more connection, freedom, harmony, and power”.
- Teaching NVC in a class format, from 13 week classes to weekend classes to one day classes to talks and one hour intros, starting in 2006.
- Led “Intro to NVC” course for Zaaz’s customer service department.
- Created Play to Evolve card game.
- Assisting couples and families in resolving conflicts, increasing responsibibility, understanding, and deepening communication in the home.
- “NVC in Business: Its TimeHas Come” – NVC Academy 4-day course – 2014.
- Business mediation between Voice & Exit and a client of theirs – 2014.
- Trained owners (partners) and staff at LIGHTfaktor in clear & efficient communication, internal and external. Included management, negotiation, and client relations – Austin, TX – 2014.
- Trained contract managers, negotiators, and other staff from National Contract Management Association – Austin, TX – 2012.
- Trained staff at Active Life Healing Clinic – Austin, TX – 2011.
- Taught “Empower Your Communication” class at Rethinking Everything Conference – Dallas, TX – 2013.
- Taught using Nonviolent Communication at Children’s Discovery Center – Austin, TX – 2013.
- Motivational speaking and public speaking at business, parenting, and relationship building events.
- Attended Six-week NVC course by Pat Siebert – 2005.
Some sources for Scott’s publications
I’ve played Play to Evolve with my teenage sons and in adult small groups with great results. The game… provides a supportive environment to learn how to clearly express emotions, needs and empathy and each time I’ve played, participants increased their ability to understand and communicate their needs and the needs of others. I also experienced that the realistic scenarios and interactions in Play to Evolve helped transfer the learning and practice to my day-to-day life. [view] “Marisa Santangelo”
When I first heard about NVC, I was skeptical, however coming from a relationship where the communication was destructive,… I decided to give it a shot. During the sessions, I learned a lot through others, and I also learned that although my intentions were good, the way I went about communicating was not constructive. I learned to be honest with my feelings and how to express those. From a person who can be quite blunt, it really helped me face a mirror and understand that there was a disconnect between what I felt and what I said. It was an incredibly valuable experience that has equipped me with the tools to have the healthy relationship and communication I have with my partner. I highly recommend NVC! [view] “Niki Acosta”