Scott Swain bio
Scott Swain has been actively studying communication, conflict resolution, and people/systems management since 1990. He has been designing and facilitating communication and conflict resolution training programs for businesses, at conferences, in schools, and to workgroups for over fourteen years. These courses have ranged in length from thirteen weeks to one day to three hours.
Scott also has over 18 years of martial arts training under under his Shaolin Kung Fu black belt earned in 2007. Prior to that, four years of karate and two years consensual garage fighting.
- Founded Austin Emotional Intelligence Play Group on May 6, 2015, which has met nearly every week since that date for a total of over 497 meetings and over 1860 members. Details here: https://meetup.com/Austin-emotional-intelligence
- Currently writing book, “PRACTICAL EMPATHY, Rewire your brain for more connection, freedom, harmony, and power”. Quite a few chapters you can read for free here.
- Teaching NVC in a class format, from 13 week classes to weekend classes to one day classes to talks and one hour intros, starting in 2006.
- Led “Intro to NVC” course for Zaaz’s customer service department.
- Created Play to Evolve card game.
- Assisting couples and families in resolving conflicts, increasing responsibibility, understanding, and deepening communication in the home.
- “NVC in Business: Its TimeHas Come” – NVC Academy 4-day course – 2014.
- Business mediation between Voice & Exit and a client of theirs – 2014.
- Trained owners (partners) and staff at LIGHTfaktor in clear & efficient communication, internal and external. Included management, negotiation, and client relations – Austin, TX – 2014.
- Trained contract managers, negotiators, and other staff from National Contract Management Association – Austin, TX – 2012.
- Trained staff at Active Life Healing Clinic – Austin, TX – 2011.
- Taught “Empower Your Communication” class at Rethinking Everything Conference – Dallas, TX – 2013.
- Taught using Nonviolent Communication at Children’s Discovery Center – Austin, TX – 2013.
- Motivational speaking and public speaking at business, parenting, and relationship building events.
- Attended Six-week NVC course by Pat Siebert – 2005.
Some sources for Scott’s publications
When I first heard about NVC, I was skeptical, however coming from a relationship where the communication was destructive,… I decided to give it a shot. During the sessions, I learned a lot through others, and I also learned that although my intentions were good, the way I went about communicating was not constructive. I learned to be honest with my feelings and how to express those. From a person who can be quite blunt, it really helped me face a mirror and understand that there was a disconnect between what I felt and what I said. It was an incredibly valuable experience that has equipped me with the tools to have the healthy relationship and communication I have with my partner. I highly recommend NVC! [view] “Niki Acosta”
Dear Scott, I would really like to thank you for the nice and humoristic animations you created. The cartoons… are helping me to understand the concept of nonviolent communication in a simple way. I like the office chief who talks to the late coming employee. It makes the concept really understandable in a nice way. I started to “study” nonviolent communication since about 3 months and your animations really help me to get a more deeper level of understanding. Greetings from the Netherlands! Anja [view] “Anja from Netherlands”